What is SEO? Is Search Engine Optimization important in 2020?
There are many questions that arise in the mind of the beginners who have just stepped into the SEO world.
So you landed in the right place. So let’s start with…
What is SEO?
SEO is a science of knowing the fundamentals that the Search Engine needs to rank your website.
According to the Wikipedia definition, SEO or Search Engine Optimization is “the process of affecting the visibility of a website or a web page in a search engine’s unpaid results.”
Search Engine Optimization Is a technique that is used to enhance the ranking of the website in search engine results pages (SERP).
In simple words, SEO is used to make your site rank higher in the search engine. Search engine optimization is a set of rules that a website owner follows to optimize their blog or a website for a search engine such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo to show it at a top result for searches of a certain keyword.
In addition, SEO is a great way to increase the quality of your website by making it user- friendly, faster, and easier to navigate, and easy to understand.
Why Search Engine Optimization is important for a website?
One line answer for this most asked question is “For getting more visitors on a website“, I think as you all guys are smart no further explanation is needed for this question.
So a well SEO Optimize website will rank higher. If your site will be ranked there is high traffic on your website.
The search engine optimized website appears on the top of the result and receives more traffic over non-optimized sites.
In a survey, it is concluded that 88% of the website that is well SEO optimized site will replace the Non-SEO optimized website.
1)60% of the organic clicks go to the top three organic results.
2)In a month 100B searches take place on google.
3)Only 17% of the user went to 2nd pages.
4)40% of users will bounce back if it takes longer than 5 seconds to load.
5)In 2018, 20% of mobile queries are voice searches. It is about a 10 billion google search.
How Search Engine Optimization Work?
Instead of telling you guys how SEO works?
Let’s have an example,
Suppose you are a Librarian but not a librarian of your school or a college. A librarian of the whole world.
So people or a student need the exact book they want to use.
So here’s a big question how do you do it?
You need a management system, who scans the whole book and knows exactly what’s inside the book is!. And how this book relates to each other.
Now your system has a lot of information and spits the best book for the user. It’s not an easy task (it require some algorithm, function, etc.)
All this work is done by an algorithm for turning all that information that was collected, into a useful search result.
Every search engine has its own bots, crawlers, spiders. This crawler every now and then crawls on the web, send spiders on the site that detects the page and gives the indexing to the page.
Search engine crawlers scan the whole web and index the website that is publicly available. These crawlers visit every web page on the web and read the HTML code. Crawlers extract the exact data they need and add them to their index.
When a user searches any type of query on search engines, its the job of the search engine algorithms to decide which websites to show higher.
A website that satisfies the crawlers need more efficiently, can rank higher in the search results.
So I think you guys now understand how the Search Engine Optimization work.
Search engine optimization is the same as some other expertise: incredible outcomes will dependably originate from the huge effort.
Now the most obvious question hitting in your mind is …
What are the Ingredients that a Web Crawler Needs?
First, a fall SEO process is a step by step process, it consists of sets of rules that you apply to your website. So this provides a right signal to a search engine crawler and algorithm.
There are many sets of rules. There are about more than 200+ search ranking algorithm factors that checking the quality of a webpage.
Backlinko.com did a great job of combining all the factors in a single post.
Overcome from this various factor or ingredients, SEO is categories into 3 types:-
- On-Page SEO: The content that you find on the website, this all stuff deals with On-Page SEO
- Off-Page SEO: This part deals with promotion, in another way to improve your website’s ranking position.
- Technical SEO: It configures all the technical job so that search engine crawlers crawl your page easily
The first stage of the Search Engine Optimization is On-Page SEO
Well, the name suggests On-Page mean on your website, something related to how your blog looks like.
On-page SEO is a content optimization process.
The primary ingredients of the on-page SEO are content.
I think you’ve probably heard somewhere that “Content is king”. But what it actually means, the viewer that came to your page for Finding a Solution, the user wants the content that resolves his/her problem.
In a study, it is concluded that the blog which has a useful content rank higher than a blog which is well SEO with a nice theme with unuseful content.
I hope you get a pretty much clear idea about why “Content is king“.
This prediction is made by Bill Gates long back ago in 1996…and its true as ever today.
SEO is not about optimization, it’s about CONTENT if your content is great SEO doesn’t matter over there.
Keep in mind that web search tools don’t read a page like a human so they are searching for signs to make sense of what a page is about.
Some of the key factors are:-
- The Title
- Content quality
- Meta descriptions
- Content SEO
- Headings and content formatting
- Images SEO
- URL optimization
- Internal links
- External links
- Page loading speed
- Comments for review, and different strategies that can send the correct signs to web crawler tools.
- If you followed correctly, on-page SEO will likewise enhance the convenience and credibility of a site or blog.
The second stage is Off-page SEO
Before talking about off-page SEO,
Let’s have an example imagine a book, what comes in your mind first -page, author, content, publisher, a cover of the book, and many for…
So likewise the stuff inside a book is what on-page SEO is, and the cover of the book is what off-page SEO is.
The best way to improve your website ranking is by doing off-site SEO. This is also referred to as a link building method.
Off-Page SEO is like the review for your website from others.
So what are the factor of off-page SEO :
- One of the factors that determine the rank of your website, is the number of incoming links(other blogger showing trust to your page)Backlink
- If you want a high-quality backlink to your website, the only MANTRA is “Create the most epic and Shareable Content“.
- Increase your visibility on SERP
- Social presence (Number of quality shares)
- Increase your Authority (Domain Authority, Page Authority)
- Bounce Rate: Decrease your bounce rate (Content, loading speed, readability, and attracting the right readers are all part of decreasing your bounce rate.
I think you understand the difference between on-page SEO and off-page SEO.
The third stage of the Search Engine Optimization is Technical SEO
The third stage of SEO is called technical SEO. As you guys understand from the name technical, which implies all the technical work. Technical SEO has to do nothing in the actual page or a website.
The main purpose of the technical SEO is to help the crawlers to read the website, to index your website without any issue.
- To verify your website on Google Search Console
- Make your permalink or URLs SEO friendly
- Make sure your website has HTTPS with SSL certificate
- Check and optimize your ‘robots.txt‘ file
- Submitting your Sitemap
Google doesn’t require you to take any special steps to appear in search results, but you can help the search engine find new or changed pages faster by letting us know when you make changes.
- Search Console – Submit a Sitemap of your website to Google.
- Structured data – Label your structured content to help users find pages relevant to their search.
How to Track Website & See your Results
So once you begin putting the majority of this SEO tips into movement, how would you really know whether and how well it’s functioning?
After doing all this work, the mean question is how to check your metric, all over this query has a genuinely direct answer, with some key metrics tool.
In 2020, there are numbers of key factors determining tools.
Some of the tools that I currently use are:
1) Google Search Console – This tool gives a pretty much clear idea about your keyword, Impressions, your performance, keyword positioning and you can also submit your site for indexing in this.
2) Google Analytics – In these tools, you can see your real-time user, bounce rate, demographics, engagement with your content, etc.
3)Jetpack – If you are a WordPress user then it is a best alter of a Google Analytics. In Jetpack you see your views, referrers, search engine terms, clicks, top post getting more views, etc.
4) If you are a blogger user, you guys have an inbuilt option to see view traffic, country, and many more.
5) Seo Tool – There are many tools in the market to do the research on keyword, website analysis. In this tool, you’ll get the option to make the keyword tracking, Monitoring the keyword ranking of the website, how the website is performing, etc. Some SEO Tool are SEMRUSH, AHREF.
6) Google AdSense – The reason why I am mentioning this is that it gives an accurate result. You can check your page view, Impression, Clicks, cost per click(CTR), Countries, accurate bounce rate, engagements, etc.
There are many paid tools that are available in the market like Omniture. But I prefer you guys to first use these free tools.
BEST WAY TO LEARN SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION
The best way to learn Search Engine Optimization is by practicing SEO. Understand the basic of the concept, how SEO work, how crawlers work, backlinking, using social media, etc.
For website owners that are new to Search Engine Optimization or simply do not have the time to deal with web site optimization, you can always hire a trusted SEO firm to do the work for you.
Here are some of the websites from where you learn Search Engine Optimization from scratch.
- Google: https://www.google.com/search/howsearchworks/
- Search Engine Land
I hope this guide about What is SEO for beginners? How Search Engine Optimization work in 2020? will help you realize how SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION is important in 2020.
Now I’d like to hear from you guys,
How do you implement this in your blog?
So get started today, who knows maybe the next time when you press the publish, you’ll stand out on the top of the search.
If I missed something!
Let me know by leaving a comment below.